Getting Your Business Online Part 3 – Working with a Web Designer
Welcome to Part 3 of ‘Getting Your Business Online’.
Choosing the right web designer (or developer) is like buying a new pair of shoes.
1. Do you like them?
Initially we are drawn in by the look of a shoe. A website is the same.
Do you like the look and feel of a web designer’s previous work?
2. Do they fit?
Shoes that don’t fit cause blisters!
Personality and chemistry are very important factors in a client/designer relationship. There is a lot of in-depth communication involved in a web design project.
Do they understand your business? Has someone else that you know ‘tried them on’ before?
3. Are they appropriate?
You wouldn’t go running in a dress shoe and most of us wouldn’t wear thongs to a funeral.
In other words, if you’re a small business then the biggest web design company in Australia may just be overkill. If you represent a large corporate multi-national then a friend-of-a-friends kid probably isn’t going to be appropriate either.
Look for a web designer that has demonstrable experience in your field. Look for a web designer who:
- Produces work within an agreed-upon budget;
- Delivers jobs on schedule;
- Satisfies the specific goals of each job;
- Completes the work with the least amount of hassle; and
- Produces work to a level which you recognise as design excellence.
4. How much do they cost?
Can you afford Prada or Dunlop Volleys?
At the end of the day, it all comes back to your budget and what you REALLY need.
Prada is a premium brand. That’s a given. However, even though Dunlop Volleys are a budget shoe, they’re still a fashion statement with some street cred.
(In case you missed it, my last post contains a list that will help you plan what you need.)
5. Will they last?
And become a favourite shoe you love to wear.
There is immeasurable value and mutual benefit achieved in long term business relationships. Understanding, respect, security, growth.
Simon Bailey is a graphic & website designer with over 15 years experience. His business, Simon Bailey Design is located on Sydney’s upper north shore and is dedicated to providing clients with Outstanding Design, Expert Advice and Professional Service.
- 10 Point Web Designer Checklist To Boost Sales and Drive Conversions Like a Pro - October 1, 2021
- Is your website healthy enough to attract big spenders as lockdowns ease? - September 29, 2021
- 7 Simple Principles of Website Design That Impact User Experience - August 3, 2021