Have you ever wanted to search for a certain picture, but can’t find the right words to describe it? Google Images may be able to help. You can discover all sorts of content relating to a specific image, whether you find it online or upload it from your own computer.
So how do you do this? It’s an amazingly easy process!
- Drag and drop an image from your computer or the web into the search box on images.google.com.
- Go to images.google.com and click the camera icon, then ‘upload an image’.
- If you have an image from a website, just simply ‘copy image URL’ and on images.google.com, ‘paste image URL’.
Or for an even faster way, download the Chrome extension or Firefox extension for this feature. Then you can simply right-click an image on the web to search for information about it.
But hang on a minute, doesn’t the Googlebot only read text? Then how does this uber-cool upgrade of Image Search work?
Google uses a type of computer vision technique to match your image to other images in the Google Images index. Google then tries to accurately determine the text description of your image, while finding other images that are similarly described.
The displayed results look a bit different from the normal search results page:
- Preview image: A small version of the image that was searched.
- Best guess: If Google can find a text description of your image, you will see a link to further search results. Also, a few top web results might pop up for that text query.
- Visually similar images: Images that are the closest matches to the image searched.
- Pages that include matching images: Website pages that include your image.
- Other searches related to this image: If Google guesses for more than one similar image, it will suggest other searches.
Sounds pretty neat, right? Give it a try and let me know what you think!
- 10 Point Web Designer Checklist To Boost Sales and Drive Conversions Like a Pro - October 1, 2021
- Is your website healthy enough to attract big spenders as lockdowns ease? - September 29, 2021
- 7 Simple Principles of Website Design That Impact User Experience - August 3, 2021